Sunday, October 23, 2011

50 Greatest Photographs of National Geographic Magazine

When I opened the mailbox today there was a package from National Geographic and inside was the print edition of the 50 Greatest Pictures from the pages of National Geographic Magazine. The ipad version was launched in March of this year and I was beyond thrilled to have an image included – and # 1 in the upper left hand corner no less! My image of the mother and child sleeping in Mali in their tent is an image I am very proud of. In the 50 greatest National Geographic included many of my most favorite photographs from it’s pages: David Alan Harvey’s  sudsy party at Ibiza,  Bill Allard’s portrait of a cattle rancher, Sam Abell’s iconic pears lined up on a windowsill in Moscow in the light of the afternoon sun and of course Steve McCurry’s famous image of the girl with the haunting green eyes from Afghanistan. There are many more, images by editor Chris Johns and naturalist Jim Brandenburg and Randy Olson. There are too many photographers - well all 50 - that I admire so much. I can’t quite believe I am in this company. If you have an ipad check out the app and learn the stories behind these striking images.


1 comment:

  1. A post and an on-the-scene report from my dear friend and writer Daniela Kuper living near Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico!

    Joanna,
    It was thrilling to see your photo, numero uno,on Nat. Geo's 50 all time best. I'm happy, but not surprised.

    Yesterday in Yautepec, Morelos, el presidente stepped down from office. Crowds of angry people, Federales lining the streets with guns drawn (others eating potato chips), somebody shooting off firecrackers, old women crossing themselves. I kept wishing you (and nobody but) were here to capture the unsayable. I slipped away to keep my thready connection to the outside world and get my cell phone fixed, as the owner screamed at me: GO BACK TO AMERICA!!

    Boulder's well being rating, sounds--good.

    Daniela
    Daniela Kuper, Author

    ReplyDelete